Tom: If you are studying for exams, you shouldn't read this blog!

Tom Sherson
Tom completed a Bachelor of Applied Media (Journalism) at USQ in 2013. He created a wide range of projects from a professional television show, to documentaries and short films and even his own radio show. Fast forward a few years and Tom is now working at USQ as part of the Social Engagement and Marketing team, developing his media skills further and creating even more projects, from YouTube video series to a student podcast.

You rebel!

So D-day is approaching, it's the final 24 hours before your big exam, and you are clearly on the look out for ways to procrastinate. You want to do everything you can today to ace that exam, so how can you make the most of your time?

It’s pretty simple, just don’t do what this guy did:

9am – Day before exam

Ok, let’s get into this study!

Picture of woman in bed

I know I’ve stayed up ‘til 3am every night last week watching documentaries, but I could have turned them off if I wanted to. Maybe I’ll just watch half an hour in my next study break…

Image of man shouting 'don't tell me what to do!'

1pm, Day before exam

So I’m a bit behind now, but at least I know how to make a samurai sword. Now I should really focus…

Picture of man working out at the gym

You know what I need? Something to look forward to when my exam is over! Maybe I’ll surf the net and find myself a pre-emptive congratulations gift.

Picture of people throwing money

2pm, Day before exam

I didn’t even know I wanted a three-tier vegetable steamer, but now I’ll be able to eat super healthy once exam block is over. This is just what I needed to inspire myself to study hard. Ooh, I know, I’ll get the study squad back together for a last minute cram.

Image of group celebrating

5pm, Day before exam

So they weren’t as helpful as I was hoping… All we did was whinge about our lack of time, but hey, it’s nearly dinner time!

Image: If it's not on a plate, it can wait!

They say sugar gives you a boost and then you crash. What they didn’t tell you was that if you keep giving yourself sugar every time you crash, there will be consequences...

ALL THE SUGAR! (photo)

1am, Day of exam

How is it 1am? More importantly, how have I still not done any study? Is my brain skipping time like Bradley Cooper in Limitless? WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!

Guess I should try and get some sleep.

Lying awake at night (image)

8.45am, 15 minutes before the exam

I’ve had 2 hours sleep, I’ve done no study and my mouth is still suffering from that kilo of sour worms, but things could be worse…

I’m pretty sure we’re not, but now would be the appropriate time to check that we aren’t being assessed on anything from module three. Oh, we are?

#Craughing (Glee photo)

Should I even bother saying don’t try this at home?

So if you're really looking for helpful advice in order to ensure you don't do the above, here are some tips for you.

1. Sure, time is of the essence and it is very unlikely you will have a photographic memory, so pick your study approach wisely to make sure the time you do have is spent effectively.
  2. Still procrastinating? Check out the 7 bad study habits…and how to combat them!
  3. It is always wise to check your course specifications regarding what module us being assessed and to review your weekly learning outcomes. If you still have time on your side, you might like to outreach with The Learning Centre and most importantly, don't forget to look after yourself, with these tips.

Ultimately, you need to reduce distractions around you acknowledge that crunch time will be temporary and you will want to minimise some of your study regrets.

Disclaimer: This guy may or may not have been me and I may or may not own a neglected, three-tier vegetable steamer…

Related:

Ann-Marie: How to beat the procrastination monster

Emma: 3 strategies to prepare for exams, from someone who hasn’t got time

Andrea: 5 reasons not to leave your uni work to the last minute, from a student who’s done just that…