Zac: How to go from high school to uni

Zac completed his Bachelor of Applied Media, majoring in journalism, in 2015. His ambitious nature and dedication to study led him to become a stand-out student, particularly in radio, where he produced and commentated live rugby league broadcasts with the Ipswich Jets.

Like so many other high school students, I had no idea what I wanted to do in my life after high school. High school was all I knew because it was my home as well. Being a boarder and living independently from a young age makes leaving school and deciding what to do after that much harder.

Through school, I was always under the impression that I would get an OP and go to university, because that is what the teachers had always said was the best option. But as my time at school came closer to finishing, it dawned on me that I had no idea what I really wanted to do.

I went to the careers advisor (after all, that’s what they’re there for) to see what she could recommend for me. Looking at the subjects I did well in and enjoyed the most, she told me USQ Springfield had a great applied media course and thought that it was my best option. I did some research into the course and found out it was exactly what I wanted; a hands-on course with lecturers who really care about your career aspirations and who will try and help you reach your goals.

Transitioning from school to uni was a pretty big change for me, but I look back now and still think it was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. Having the support of my lecturers from the get go helped me make friends and boost my confidence, which helped me with my grades.

Honestly, I really couldn’t see myself at any other university. The class sizes here are perfect, ranging from 10-50 students. Having such small class sizes means the lecturers really get to know you individually. My ultimate goal going into university was to get a job and set up a career. USQ has really helped me do this by giving me placement in a work environment through the Work Integrated Learning program.

So, if you are leaving school soon and have no idea what to do, here’s my advice: be proactive and go to see your school’s careers advisor. They are there to help you find the best uni for you and to find the right career path for you. Going to see my career advisor was definitely one of the best decisions I’ve made and, as a result, I’m excited for what the future holds.

To help you decide which study path to follow, I’ve compiled these tips:

• Visit your school careers advisor 
  • If you’re still not sure of what you want to study after graduating, just try something
  • Be open to new things
  • Once you find a course you like, commit to it!

Once you’ve made a decision or at least narrowed down your options, the next step is to make sure your preferences reflect your choice.

For advice on how to make sure your preferences align with your study and career goals, check out USQ student Emma's tips on how not to preference.

Related:

3 things I learned in my first year at university

Top 5 misconceptions about life as a uni student

High school to university in 5 slides