Jozef: Life after graduation: how to find your path

Blogger image: Jozef Borja-Erece
At age 18, Jozef became a global phenomenon as the youngest Law graduate in the Southern Hemisphere after completing a Bachelor of Laws at USQ. A couple of years on, he has taken a step back from his law career to pursue a more meaningful path, writing literature with the aim of immortalising stories and encouraging worldwide peace and respect. To read more about Jozef‘s career, check out HeyU Issue 55.

Quite early on, I came to terms with the understanding that in order to make progress and most effectively make a meaningful contribution to society, you really do have to specialise in a particular area as an individual.

I honestly can’t recall the exact moment (the decision to study law), but at the heart of it was definitely a pursuit of truth and understanding pertaining the greys of the world.

There was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to be an admitted lawyer both to be completely prepared for a foray into the legal industry and, of course, to really accomplish something special, and do my family proud.

My admission to the legal profession was definitely one of the most memorable days of my life. It was indeed everything I expected and hoped for. I still remember the pure happiness in all of my peers and contemporaries who were also admitted on that day. It was a great beginning for us all in many senses, but also, on a personal level, a climactic finish to my life’s first act. Shortly after this, I was admitted to the Supreme Court of Queensland.

Despite all this, I ended up pursuing a different career path and founded a literary series called Starlight Legacies. In its present form, the series is a platform through which I am able to capture and immortalise the perspectives of people I encounter on the deeper matters of life, our society, and existence.

While I don’t think my direction was ever in doubt, I know my background in law and justice is what enabled me to have the cybernetic and philosophical familiarity with society necessary for this new project. Everything I learned and experienced through the years not only contributed to or enhanced my prospects of accomplishing what I set out to do, but made it possible.

Although not a day passes when I don’t think it’s all very daunting, and that I might be a tad overly optimistic in what I’m determined to accomplish, I know what I want to accomplish and do feel like I am now gradually moving along the path of getting there.

If you haven’t found clarity in the direction you want your career and life to follow yet, ask yourself these three questions:

1. What’s the biggest thing you want to accomplish in your lifetime?
  2. Where do you have to be and who do you have to work with to accomplish it?
  3. How can you put yourself in the best position to get to where you have to be?    

Craft a plan from your answers to those questions; of course factoring in aspects such as life circumstances, economic situation, and other practical concerns. It’s important to envision the many possible routes, and have contingency plans for these.

Never close any doors permanently, because the future is never certain until the moment it arrives. Chart the course, but don’t forget to steer the ship.

Struggling to navigate your next career move? Our USQ Career Development Practitioners are here to help guide you towards your career goals. If you have just graduated, we’ve separated fact from fiction so you know exactly what to expect from life after graduation.

Related:

Naomi: How you can benefit from 'stepping stone' jobs

Michelle: Industry changes like the tide; don’t get stuck without a paddle

Duaa: How to combine your different passions into one great career